Saturday, July 09, 2005

A final goodbye to my grandmother: The Viewing

Today was the viewing and another chance to see family and friends I hadn't seen in many years. It was hard to watch my grandfather saying goodbye to the woman he had loved for so many years. My grandparents had a tradition that they passed on to my parents and even to my wife and me. At each meal, after praying and asking God's blessing on the food, they would turn and kiss each other. Growing up, it was normal to see such signs of affection from my parents and grandparents.

My niece put together a lovely video tribute to grandma. As I watched the video record of her life it struck me how quickly our lives pass bye. It reminded me of this verse, "Their inner thought is that their houses are forever and their dwelling places to all generations; they have called their lands after their own names." Psalms 49:11 Most of us do not like to think about our end. We tend to live life as if life will go on pretty much as is always has, yet none of us will live forever. Life is quickly passing us by, we are but a vapor in time. Knowing that life is short, we must be diligent to give ourselves to those things that are of lasting value. Moses said, "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." (Psalms 90:12) Life is short, we have no time to loose. Therefore, let us live each day as if it might be our last, let us give ourselves to the things that are eternal, and taking an example from my grandmother, let us live our lives and live them well.

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment