Monday, June 13, 2005

When God calls, is anyone listening? Is 50:1-2

"Where is the certificate of divorce by which I have sent your mother away? Or to whom of My creditors did I sell you? Behold, you were sold for your iniquities, and for your transgressions your mother was sent away. Why was there no man when I came? When I called, why was there none to answer? Is My hand so short that it cannot ransom? Or have I no power to deliver?" (Isaiah 50:1-2)
Israel's sins had separated her from God. Because of her unfaithfulness, God divorced her and sent her away. Worse then her sins was that there was no one to intercede for her, no one to plead her case. God came looking for someone to intercede, someone to stand in the gap, but He found none. In then end, because there was no one to intercede, God Himself would have to come to intercede and to save His people.

Several years ago, I was visiting some Christian friends. As I spent the day with them, it became apparent that there were issues in their lives that were causing them trouble. That night, as I lay in bed, I began to recount their issues, which seemed evident to me, but seemed hidden to them. It was so clear to me what they needed to do, so why couldn't they see it? As I considered their faults, Jesus spoke to me. He challenged me that, if I really loved them, I would pray for them instead of judging them. God wanted to move on their behalf, but when He came to see if I was listening, He found me judging not praying. God came looking for an intercessor, but found a judge instead.

Who do we know who need help from God? Who are those we know who are stuck some situation or are facing difficult issues in their lives? God is always ready to move in their lives but perhaps He is waiting to find someone who will intercede for them. We may not be the answer to someone's prayer, but we can pray the prayer that God will answer on their behalf. Let us become our brother's intercessor and leave the judging to God.

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment