Saturday, January 22, 2005

Zophar, Take 2: Job 20

Finishing up round 2 is Zophar. It seems that Zophar got his talking points from both Eliphaz and Bildad. "Therefore my disquieting thoughts make me respond, even because of my inward agitation. I listened to the reproof which insults me, And the spirit of my understanding makes me answer." (Job 20:2-3) Zophar feels compelled to respond. In part, because he disagrees with Job, and impart because he feels insulted by him. Either way, his compulsion to respond comes from his own emotions, not the prompting of the Lord. His chief concern is to defend himself (and his beliefs) rather than to comfort Job.

Soloman had this to say, "A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind." (Proverbs 18:2) Solomon says that, when we feel like we just have to "speak our mind", then we are moving into the territory of the fool. We need to learn to listen before we respond. To conceder before we speak. And to commit to sharing only that which would be for edification and encouragement. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." (Ephesians 4:29)

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment