Thursday, April 21, 2005

Mission Impossible: Is 41:17-20

"The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst; I, the LORD, will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them. I will open rivers on the bare heights and springs in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water and the dry land fountains of water. I will put the cedar in the wilderness, the acacia and the myrtle and the olive tree; I will place the juniper in the desert together with the box tree and the cypress, that they may see and recognize, and consider and gain insight as well, that the hand of the LORD has done this, and the Holy One of Israel has created it." (Isaiah 41:17-20)

Have you ever heard the saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? While this saying can be very motivational, it is none the less false. God does not help those who help themselves, God helps those who cannot help themselves. The power of God is seen, not in those things we can do for ourselves, but in those things we are unable to do for ourselves. God's power begins when were we reach the end of our own power. Paul put it this way,
"And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak , then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

When I am weak, then I am strong. The world has it 180 degrees backwards. We celebrate strength. We admire the self-made man. And we all try to hide our weakness so that others will think us strong. But Jesus looks for the weak, so that He may show Himself strong. Remember the story of the man who was born blind? The disciples ask, "who sinned that he was born this way?" Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him." (John 9:3) I think that, sometimes, God allows impossible circumstances to come into our lives so that He might remind people that, with Him, nothing is impossible. God wants to use our lives to demonstrate to the world that He is still capable of doing what no man can do. He wants to do in our lives that for which no man can claim the glory.

Are you willing to become weak, so that God's strength may be demonstrated through you? Are there circumstances in your life that seem impossible? Is there a sickness or a financial need or some other thing that is beyond yourself? If so, then rejoice! For it is there that God will meet you with His provision and His strength. When we reach a point where only a miracle will do, that's the place where miracles begin. Don't fear your weakness, but let God be God in your life, and give glory to Him.

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment