Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Leave me alone and let me die in peace: Job 10:18-22

When our walk with the Lord takes us through difficult times, it is tempting to ask ourselves, "Is it all worth it?" Job asked himself, "Why then should I toil in vain?" (Job 9:29) As Christians we are appointed for suffering. All who desire to walk with God will experience times of suffering along the way. And when the suffering hurts the most, we may being to wonder if our walk with the Lord is worth all the pain in our lives.

Job decided that, if all God had for him was pain, then it wasn't worth it. He pleads God to let him alone and to let him die in peace. "Would He not let my few days alone? Withdraw from me that I may have a little cheer before I go -- and I shall not return -- to the land of darkness and deep shadow" (Job 10:21-21) Job desires to be out from under the hand of God. He believes that if God would just turn His attention away from him, then his affliction would ease, and he would enjoy a few fleeting days of peace, before he dies and passes away.

I have know people who, in the midst of very difficult times, withdrew from God, hoping to find some place of rest from their pain. Hoping that, if they didn't pursue God so hard, that maybe it wouldn't hurt so much. Unfortunately, this is the exact opposite of what we really need. In our times of trouble we need to draw closer to God rather than drift away. Our only hope for survival is found in the mercy and grace of God. The world can not offer anything that can bring lasting relief from our pain, only God can.

Jesus has given us an invitation to come unto Him. An invitation for the hurting, burdened, and weary. "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) What is often not very apparent, during our times of trouble, is that Jesus is in the yolk right next to us. He is there with us, helping us to pull the load and to make it through. His invitation is to come to Him, to let Him help us with our burdens, and to find out that his burden is light. In times of trouble, let us draw near to Him.

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment