Wednesday, October 09, 2019

I, I will give: Luke 21:12-15


Jesus warns his disciples that there will come times when those who oppose them “will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for My name’s sake.” (Luke 21:12) However, he tells them that they need not worry beforehand how they should respond in such situations. Jesus promised them, “I will give you utterance and wisdom which none of your opponents will be able to resist or refute.” (Luke 21:15) What is interesting in the Greek is that a verb’s ending tells you who is speaking. So, for example, a single word could be translated, “I will give.” However, in this case, Jesus includes the personal pronoun “I.” This verse could rightfully be translated, “I, I will give…” The personal pronoun “I,” though not needed, is used for emphasis. Jesus was telling the disciples not to trust in their own wisdom or understanding but rather to trust in their relationship with him. When we face difficult situations, our hope is not in what we know, but whom we know. If we have a relationship with Jesus, then he himself will come to us and give us what we should speak or lead us to what we should do. Most religions are based upon laws and precepts, but Christianity is based upon a relationship; a relationship with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment