Sunday, October 14, 2012

1st Clement 36 - Remember Jesus

Paul writes to his son Timothy reminding him to,
"Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel, for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned." (2 Timothy 2:8-9)
Sometimes, in the midst of a busy life, and even in the midst of a religious live, it is easy to forget Jesus. This is why Clement also encourages us,
"This is the way, beloved, in which we find our Saviour, even Jesus Christ, the High Priest of all our offerings, the defender and helper of our infirmity. By Him we look up to the heights of heaven. By Him we behold, as in a glass, His immaculate and most excellent visage. By Him are the eyes of our hearts opened. By Him our foolish and darkened understanding blossoms up anew towards His marvellous light. By Him the Lord has willed that we should taste of immortal knowledge, 'who, being the brightness of His majesty, is by so much greater than the angels, as He hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.' ” (1 Clement 36)
We can easily forget the very source and center of our life. Jesus is more than just our savior, He is our very life.
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Galatians 2:20)
Christ is our all-in-all; our hope, our provision, our strength, and our future; He is everything to us, and it is good to be reminded often of that truth lest we should forget. I find all too often that I can be thankful for the things I have received while forgetting from whom I have received them; I can be thankful for my life but forget the source of that life. Take time today to remember Jesus.


David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment