Sunday, September 23, 2012

1st Clement 28 - Live like God is watching

Clement reminds us that God is all knowing and all seeing and we should live our lives in that reality.
Since then all things are seen and heard [by God], let us fear Him, and forsake those wicked works which proceed from evil desires; so that, through His mercy, we may be protected from the judgments to come. For whither can any of us flee from His mighty hand? Or what world will receive any of those who run away from Him? ... Whither, then, shall any one go, or where shall he escape from Him who comprehends all things? (1 Clement 28)
God knows all and sees all. Whenever we believe that our sin and lustful thoughts are hidden from His eyes and ears, we deceive ourselves. This reminds me of the vision given to Ezekiel regarding the house of Israel and their elders.

"Then He brought me to the entrance of the court, and when I looked, behold, a hole in the wall. He said to me, 'Son of man, now dig through the wall.' So I dug through the wall, and behold, an entrance. And He said to me, 'Go in and see the wicked abominations that they are committing here.' So I entered and looked, and behold, every form of creeping things and beasts and detestable things, with all the idols of the house of Israel, were carved on the wall all around. Standing in front of them were seventy elders of the house of Israel, with Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan standing among them, each man with his censer in his hand and the fragrance of the cloud of incense rising. Then He said to me, 'Son of man, do you see what the elders of the house of Israel are committing in the dark, each man in the room of his carved images? For they say, "The Lord does not see us; the Lord has forsaken the land."' And He said to me, 'Yet you will see still greater abominations which they are committing.'" (Ezekiel 8:7-13)
Hidden sins, hidden, thoughts, and hidden lives, God see them all. The only remedy is to bring the hidden things into the light. Hidden sin can never be healed. We must must come to the light, to the light of God's gracious love, to receive His forgiveness and healing
"When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord'; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah." (Psalm 32:3-5)
The Lord is watching, ever ready to forgive and heal, every ready to receive and comfort. Let us no longer live our lives in the shadow, thinking we are away from the peering eyes of God. Let us come to the light and find freedom and peace.

David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment