Thursday, February 09, 2006

A leader of giant slayers: Part 3

David knew that people were watching.

As David approached the Philistine, Goliath looked at him with disgust, He chided him saying, “Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?” (1 Samuel 17:43) However, David was not dissuaded. He declared his faith that his God would deliver Goliath and the whole Philistine army into his hands. “You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.” (1 Samuel 17:45) David declares that God was going to grant him victory so that “all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the LORD does not deliver by sword or by spear; for the battle is the LORD'S and He will give you into our hands.” (1 Samuel 17:46-47)

David knew what was at stake. Not only was his own life at stake but also the life of the armies of Israel and the freedom of her people. David also knew that the people were watching, they were watching to see if God would come through. They were waiting to see if their God was still a God of victory. If not, they were ready to flee for their lives. If so, then they were willing to fight. As the story goes, David defeated Goliath. At the sight of their enemy laying dead, the people took new courage and chased after the Philistine army. “The men of Israel and Judah arose and shouted and pursued the Philistines as far as the valley, and to the gates of Ekron. And the slain Philistines lay along the way to Shaaraim, even to Gath and Ekron.” (1 Samuel 17:52) David’s courage led to his victory, which gave courage to those around him and enabled them to taste victory for themselves.

The example of David and Goliath stands in stark contrast to the time the twelve spies returned from spying out the promise land. Moses had sent them to walk through the land of Canaan for forty days and to return and report on what they saw. While they saw that the land indeed had great wealth and produce, it also had giants. “We went in to the land where you sent us; and it certainly does flow with milk and honey, and this is its fruit. Nevertheless, the people who live in the land are strong, and the cities are fortified and very large; and moreover, we saw the descendants of Anak there.” (Numbers 13:27-28) Of the twelve spies, ten brought back a bad report. Only Joshua and Caleb brought back a good report, a report that was mixed with faith. “The land which we passed through to spy out is an exceedingly good land. If the Lord is pleased with us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us -- a land which flows with milk and honey.” (Numbers 14:7-8) Yet the report of the ten prevailed and faith was replaced with fear in the heart of the congregation. “Then all the congregation lifted up their voices and cried, and the people wept that night.” (Numbers 14:1)

People are watching us. Our choices and actions have a direct influence on those around us. This one fact has at times been what has motivated me to continue in my walk with the Lord. There have been times when, in the face of depression, discouragement, and despair, I have not cared for my own life as to whether or not I would continue with the Lord. Yet in those times I have remembered that what I choose to do with my life has an impact on those around me. I consider the impact on my wife and family if I decided to “take a vacation” from God. I consider how it might affect my brothers and sisters in the church. I even consider what those whom I have witnessed to would think if I backslid. In those times, I find that it is my love for those around me that motivates me to continue in God. Whether or not I feel like going on, I do it for those around me, that they may not be discouraged but rather strengthened in their walk with God. In this life we cannot afford to only think about ourselves, we must think of others and the impact that our choices have on them.

As Robert E Lee stood surrounded by the Union Army at Appomattox Virginia in the closing days of America’s Civil War, he prepared himself for surrender. General Alexander suggested that he not surrender and that the men be released to flee and try to find another regiment to fight with. Lee responded,
"You and I as Christian men have no right to consider only how this would affect us. We must consider its effect on the country as a whole. Already it is demoralized by the four years of war. If I took your advice, the men would be without rations and under no control of officers. They would be compelled to rob and steal in order to live. They would become mere bands of marauders, and the enemy's cavalry would pursue them and overrun many sections they may never have occasion to visit. We would bring on a state of affairs it would take the country years to recover from. And, as for myself, you young fellows might go bushwhacking, but the only dignified course for me would be to go to General Grant and surrender myself and take the consequences of my acts." (Robert E Lee by Douglas Freemen)
Later, Alexander wrote of his response, "He had answered my suggestion from a plane so far above it, that I was ashamed of having made it." Lee acted not out of concern for himself, but for the men he was leading. He understood that history might speak poor of him for surrendering, but it was what was right for his men. If we are to become leaders of giant slayers, we must learn to act in the best interest of those around us. We must lead in a way that sets an example and engenders courage in those who follow. Many challenges will face us as we walk with God and people are watching to see how we will handle them. If we chose courage and press on with the Lord, then hopefully some of them will be inspired to rise up in courage and accept their challenges in God.
"Let no man's heart fail on account of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine." (1 Samuel 17:32)
David Robison

No comments:

Post a Comment